TrishaBoyLove

Trisha Harrington's Blog

The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal - K.J. Charles

It has taken me forever, but I finally read The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal. It's been a long time coming. I wanted to read this so bad since it came out, yet I never got around to it, despite promising myself several times. Well now, I can finally move it from my TBR to my read list. And it was more than worth the wait.

I feel like I need to kick myself when I put off reading a book I really want to read. It happens from time to time and 99% of the time, I end up adoring it. Like with this one.

As with all other KJ Charles books I've read, I loved both plot and characters. She is my go to for historical books and she does paranormal in a way that I enjoy, too, despite being more of a contemporary girl.

This book spans over twenty years, with each chapter telling the story of a different case. It isn't just about the cases, though. It's about the toll it took on both Simon and Robert and the ups and downs of their lives. Certain cases impacted their lives, both as a couple and individually.

It wasn't smooth sailing for these guys. They had bumps along the road. Robert learned that fairly early on and saw what getting into this life would bring, but it only brought him and Simon closer together. And then there was a chapter near the end that brought one of the biggest bumps in the road. But they overcame it together and I like how it was handled by them. I understood Simon's anger at what Robert had done, but I also understood Robert and why he did what they did. It made sense for him to do it in my mind and I liked how he brought up something Simon had said in an earlier chapter of the book.

A few cases were more intriguing than others and after reading the acknowledgements at the end of the book, I think I understand why. One chapter in particular made me a little more wary of butterflies.

The ending was ugly and sad, but also beautiful in a way that was befitting this story and these characters. It felt so very final, which is why I was able to find closure when I finished, because even though it was not your traditional happy ending, I was able to find the happy in it.