TrishaBoyLove

Trisha Harrington's Blog

Two Dumb Jocks

Two Dumb Jocks - Jeff Erno Also check out my review on Greedy Bug Book Reviews.

Two Dumb Jocks is the fifth book in the Dumb Jock series. A series that I happen to love to pieces. It’s one of the first m/m series’ and Dumb Jock, the first book, was the second m/m book I read.

So I was really excited when I saw that this book was coming out, but I will admit to being nervous about the main character. I wasn’t a fan of him in the last book, but the blurb did sound really good. And it didn’t disappoint me really, but it’s not my favorite in the series either. Two Dumb Jocks is a bit more of a mature YA/NA book than the others. It’s also a bit more explicit than the others in the series, which is why I found it to be a bit more of a mature YA.

This book follows Bryan. He’s living with Jeff and Brett and their son, Adam, and his boyfriend, Trevor. He’s dealing with depression and trying to build himself up after having a really hard time. Luckily, he has Jeff and Brett (the couple from book one) who are helping him out.

He meets Greg, and at first he doesn’t think much of him, but after they begin working together, that soon changes. The relationship goes at a nice pace and I did think they were a nice couple. I just didn’t connect to them as a couple as much as the others in the previous books. And that’s totally on me, not the book. Plus, the romance, like in the first book, isn’t the main focus in the book. At least that’s the way it was for me. It was more about Bryan, and him recovering and learning to accept and love himself because he really doesn’t in the beginning. It’s also about him making connections with people and finding a new family in Jeff and Brett and their family.

Like other books, there is a bad guy. Well, three bad guys actually, and it’s definitely the darkest in that sense. I’m not kidding when I say that it really is difficult to read, and not because it’s explicit or anything. It just the type of book that really makes you feel for a character, and that’s huge for me since I wasn’t a big fan of Bryan in the beginning. And it’s not like I wasn’t expecting something bad to happen, because I was. But that definitely did not cross my mind.

Overall, I am really glad I did read this book. It’s definitely different from the other books in the series, which isn’t a bad thing. It really makes you connect with the MC, Bryan, and it does cover a pretty serious subject, depression. So it’s nice to read a book that covers something like that, and that appears to cover it well. I would definitely say you should read this if you’re a fan of the series. But it might not be good for you if you can’t handle rape, even non-explicit rape, in your books.

This book was provided by Dreamspinner Press in exchange for a fair and honest review.