Trisha Harrington's Blog

A Scout is Brave

A Scout is Brave - Jay Jordan Hawke I have to start off this review by saying, I really enjoyed Pukawiss and was so excited to read this. I knew there had to be more to come because the story could not have ended where it did in the last book. I’m so glad I finally had the chance to read this. It was just as good as I wanted it to be, and maybe even a little better than I expected.

A Scout is Brave is the sequel to Pukawiss. Joshua, the MC, is living with his mom and away from the reservation. He goes camping with his Boy Scouts Troop and there he meets, Cody, the Scoutmasters son. The relationship grows throughout the book and it was really nice to feel things happening between them.

Like the first book, romance was not the main part of this book. There were a lot of things going on. From the homophobic bullying to the tragic story of Tommy Drapos. Both of those were connected in many ways and made this story a very interesting, and sometimes dark read. That’s the type of thing I’m drawn to when reading. It makes the experience better for me.

This isn’t an easy read, far from it. It deals with some things (like bullying) that kids go through, even if you’re not gay. And I think in that sense, it makes Joshua a much more relatable character. You don’t have to be gay to know what he has to deal with when it comes to the bullies. But saying that, at times the bullying he had to deal with is a bit more extreme than the bullying most would go through. That just made him a more lovable character, in my opinion, and it made me want to protect him because nobody deserves to suffer through that.

The ending… I’m not sure what I think of the ending. Part of me thinks it was good. But since I think there is more to come, I would have preferred a slightly different ending. The last chapter was just so intense, it would have been nice for a lesser time jump. But I still want to read more of Joshua, and maybe even Cody’s journeys. So that’s definitely a good thing.

A Scout Is Brave is a 4.5 star read for me and I can’t wait to see what happens next with the story. I’m sure it will be just as good as the first two books.

A copy of this book was provided by Harmony Ink Press in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Review can also be found on Greedy Bug Book Reviews.