Trisha Harrington's Blog

Shiny! - Amy Lane This is kind of a surprise for me. I started reading this thinking I would fall head over heels in love with it. And I waited and waited for it to happen, but it never did. Don't get me wrong, it's a really sweet book and the characters were likable, and this book should have worked for me... But it didn't.

So the story switched from the present to the past, and back again. That was how the story was told, which didn't bother me. Sometimes it does work, sometimes it doesn't, and it worked here. But the overall story and feeling was just okay for me. There's nothing wrong with okay, but it's not exactly amazing or fantastic either. So that was disappointing. And the story was the same for me. Just okay. I didn't really feel overly attached to the story, and even though the characters likable, I didn't overly love them either. Well, Will was sweet and cute, but he wasn't enough for me to really enjoy the story.

Now for the things I liked... I liked the ease of the story. It was probably one of the easiest stories this author has written. I liked the fact the MC's became friends and then more. And I liked how easy it was for Will and his mother to accept him being gay. I thought it was a nice change from the direction way most OFY/GFY stories tend to go in.

Overall, this is definitely not my favorite Amy Lane story, but it's not my least favorite. It was just okay. But I have no doubt others will probably love this story and it is nice. It just didn't work for me, which is unfortunate. I would recommend it to others, though.