Trisha Harrington's Blog

A Hard Winter Rain

A Hard Winter Rain - John Inman I read [b:A Hard Winter Rain|13455589|A Hard Winter Rain|John Inman|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1331418680s/13455589.jpg|18983975] expecting a romance with mystery/thriller elements to it. Boy was I wrong. Actually, this book is a mystery/thriller with a small romance side. It's that small some probably wouldn't describe it as a romance.

John Inman is a very talented writer. I've read many of this books but this one has been on my list the longest. I can't even tell you why I didn't read it, probably the same reason as most overlook books. Timing. Big lists can get in the way of people reading everything they want to. This just so happens to be one of those cases and like a few of the others, I'm annoyed that I didn't read this sooner.

This book is hard to read, and it won't be for everyone. It's gory, it's dark, and it can seem creepy at times. Does any of that bother me? Hell no! I was so engrossed in this book that nothing else mattered to me. I even laughed in a couple of places, and trust me, it's not easy in a book like this. But there was humor (small amounts) thrown in at times. It made the book even more fun to read.

Sean and Harry both had POV's in this book. But so did the killer (even more awesome!) and a the detectives. None of those POV's ever got confusing, even when the author introduced another POV. Does it make me sound creepy if I say my favorite POV was the killers? All of those POV's brought something incredible to the book.

I have to admit I love a book with a good mystery. And even though I figured out who the killer was, I was still so eager to find out how the characters would react. Was it a bit predictable? Maybe. I think it was just a really great choice. The killer was someone you could kind of see coming, but the character was disturbed enough to not know what they would do next. I really looked forward to seeing who he would kill next. I know, creepy.

Overall, I really loved this book and on a day I feel like reading something with a darker plot, this will be one I pick up. I hope the author writes more books like this, he should! Definitely a 5 star book from me.