Trisha Harrington's Blog

Reasons To Love A Nerd Like Me

Reasons To Love A Nerd Like Me - Becky Jerams 4 stars!

Reasons To Love A Nerd Like Me is a really nice YA story that I enjoyed reading.

Our MC, Scotty, is openly gay and the target of three school bullies. He has a history with one of the bullies, the main bully, Taylor. I can’t say I was expecting the history, to be honest. Normally I can tell something like that is coming, but apart from a little niggle right before, there was nothing. It was nice to be surprised.

I liked Scotty a lot. He wasn’t the perfect MC you sometimes read about. He made mistakes and he did things I didn’t like. But he never intentionally tried to hurt the people he was closest to. Actually, he really believed he was protecting them and that made him so much more likable. I was rooting for him throughout the book.

I also liked his best friend Olive “Ollie”. A couple of times that wavered because I thought she was being very hard on Scotty. But I warmed up to her again pretty soon after that. And their friendship, when going well, was strong.

The love interest, Vincent, I adored him from the start. He had been through a lot and wasn’t always the nicest to everyone. But the way he was with Scotty melted my heart. I would have liked a chapter or a few scenes from his POV because there were a couple of times, during the massive fallout, that I think his POV would have been useful. I could understand how he was feeling, but I still got frustrated with him and I don’t think it would have been as bad had we gotten his POV.

Taylor and Alexis are two characters I’m still not really sure if I liked or disliked. I didn’t particularly love them, even in the end, but I didn’t hate either of them in the end. Out of the two, Taylor, was the hardest for me. But while I never completely warmed to him, I did sympathize with him a little close to the end. On the other hand, I really liked Scotty’s mum. She was supportive and loving, which was needed in some of the chaos of the story.

The negative for me was the drama that ensued after Scotty’s past relationship with Taylor came out. I didn’t hate it completely. But it bugged me more than once. It did fit with the book, however, and it made the ending even more enjoyable for me. I think had the fallout not continued for as long as it did, I would have loved this book.

I’m so glad I read Reasons To Love A Nerd Like Me! This is Becky Jerams first book and I’m excited to see what she releases next.

A copy of this book was provided by the author in exchange for a fair and honest review.

photo Potential-OTDU-Banner-9-Smaller2_zpsf0878d67.png