Trisha Harrington's Blog

Dream Boy

Dream Boy - Jim Grimsley, Mary Javorek, Bonnie Campbell, Calvin Chu Such a brilliant gay fiction book.

This was my first gay romance book or gay fiction book, whichever you prefer to call it. I fell in love with it the second I started reading it. It didn't take me very long to read it, because I couldn't put it down, but partly because it was very short, too. It was a very quick read. And I also read it on my 15th birthday, which isn't really relevant... but anyway.

Jim Grimsley did an amazing job with Nathan. He was a shy boy, but he had something inside. It was broken but it had the innocence of childhood. Even when he took the lead I could see the childishness in him. It was raw and beautiful to me and the detail in the book was exquisite. We don't get a lot of gory details, but we can see everything and we know what's going on.

My main issue with this book was how Roy treated Nathan. It's not exactly a romance, so I guess it's why I was able to enjoy it as much as I did. There was a romance of sorts in the book, but it's more of a gay fiction book or a YA gay fiction book than an m/m romance, which is what I usually read. Still, I did think it was amazing and the writing really brought me in.