Trisha Harrington's Blog

Romeo and Juliet

Romeo and Juliet - William Shakespeare Because I seem to be one of the minority who didn't like this book, I feel like a review is in order. That, and I just love ranting sometimes.

Romeo and Juliet is a classic that has withstood the test of time. Many study it in school, which is where I first read it. So in most people's lifetimes, they will have read this book, especially now, where the book seems to be read worldwide. Like so many students in Ireland, I studied this for my Junior Cert. So that was three years of working with this book, studying notes, learning quotes, etc...

The story is a tragedy. Two star-crossed lovers end up dead in the end. Most people know this before they start reading it. The Capulets and the Montagues are two families at war and their children fall in love. Reading through various scenes, I found myself bored. Normally I love classics and have read a few of them. But, eh, Shakespeare obviously isn't for me. I will admit, I could easily follow along with the writing, which was the problem some had. No. For me, the issue was the storyline. It's done a lot nowadays. And I cannot believe that this is the original. It's done much better in my humble opinion.

I could tell you I had a favourite character. But that would be a lie. I could tolerate Romeo. But saying that, it's stretching the truth. Of course if you liked the book, you would normally like a character. But I found it to be unrealistic that they fallen in love. I felt no chemistry. Sometimes it felt like something being forced. The balcony scene was a fine example of something that could have been amazing, and just wasn't.

Death is a pretty major theme in this. I can handle death. I just didn't like it here. It felt like reading a melodrama. You were introduced to characters for them to be killed off in the end. Romeo and Juliet's death being the saddest. Not really. I gotta say, I was not upset that they died... Nope. Not a tear shed for those two.

Between the "accidental killing," the professing of love, the secret marriage, and the death, I already disliked the book. But there just seemed to be something that did not click for me. I'm thinking it must have been just me because so many people love this book. In my school, everyone liked it at least, and here, it has a pretty high rating with most of my GR friends. So I am thinking I must be faulty.

So for anyone who wants to read this book, I hope you enjoy it. One day, when I am ready, I will re-read this and see what I think. Chances are, I will dislike it still. But sometimes I have liked something better a second time around. To put it lightly, I can't dislike the book more than I already do.