TrishaBoyLove

Trisha Harrington's Blog

To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee “Mockingbirds don’t do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don’t eat up people’s gardens, don’t nest in corncribs, they don’t do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That’s why it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.”

To Kill A Mockingbird is my favourite classic of all time. This book is a masterpiece and I cannot express how glad I am I that my school chose this for our Junior Cert. It has had a special place in my heart since I read it three years ago. I hate reviewing books like this because I never feel like I can do them justice.

The characters in To Kill A Mockingbird are some of my favourites. I loved Scout and Atticus more than I have ever loved two characters in a non m/m romance book. These two characters left me with such a strong sense of almost pride. Scout was a girl in a time where young girls had to behave like ladies and you were not allowed to be smarted than boys, but she was.

Atticus in my own head is a person I would like to emulate. His acceptance and compassion is a wonderful thing. For those who have read the book you will know he was a man too advanced for his time. For those who haven't I think you should know that it's no wonder he inspired so many people who have read this book.

Boo Radely was inspirational in many ways. He was the mockingbird of the story and yet he was in very little of the actual story. He was discussed and described but not seen until the very end. It was a nice way he came into it though and I was delighted we got him in any part of this book.

This book has so many happy and sad moments. It can make you laugh during some scenes and cry at others. It show's prejudice and discrimination at it's worst. It shows rape and racism and the poor view of women in the 1930's. It is a true classic in that sense and has such a good plot and is well worth the money you pay for it.

Not many books can inspire a person and I am not a huge fan of books that preach to people. Harper Lee did a wonderful job with her novel though. It was thought provoking and beautifully presented. It created a world that was so true and visual. It left me with a strong feeling of moral injustice. It thought me that you should never believe what you hear.

Highly recommend this beautiful classic!