TrishaBoyLove

Trisha Harrington's Blog

The Heart of Texas

The Heart of Texas - R.J. Scott I LOVED LOVED LOVED THIS BOOK, OH MY GOD THIS IS DEFINITELY A FAVORITE BOOK OF MINE. JACK AND RILEY FOREVER!

Riley and Jack!

The Heart of Texas was one of the first m/m books I read. It's also one of my favorites. When I first started reading the book, I wasn't really sure if I would like it or not. But I soon found myself craving more of this wonderful book and I was addicted to these characters and the overall story. I don't think there was any one thing I liked about this book the most. It was just a book I was able to really fall in love with and devour in a few hours.

Riley and Jack were definitely easy to love. Both guys had their own personalities and even if their start wasn't the best or the most romantic, I found myself rooting for them to become a real couple. Out of the two guys, I have to admit Riley was my favorite. I fell in love with him immediately and I never stopped loving him. He was flawed, yes, but the man underneath was definitely someone who needed to be loved and Jack was just the man for the job. I loved how their relationship developed and it was nice to see how much they really loved each other. I think it was the relationship that really brought out the vulnerability in the guys. But it also showed how strong they both were, too.

This book was similar to Dallas in many respects and some of the twists that happened were definitely Dallas like. That wasn't a bad thing. I actually love the original show and I thought this book was better than the show, so it shows you how much I love this book. I loved some characters, like others, and downright hated some too. There really was a mixed bag here when it comes to characters and it was great to have a really bad villain in this. It's not that I don't like redeeming the bad guy, sometimes that really does work great. But I also like having a character I can loathe and Jeff Hayes was definitely one of those characters. Personally, I don't think he was punished enough, but that's just me. *grins*

The relationships in this book weren't just romantic ones. Riley and Jack's relationship was my favorite, hands down. But I really loved the Jack/Beth, Jack/Josh and Riley/Eden relationships too. Sibling relationships, for whatever reason, make me really happy and I always enjoy solid ones. It's something that I will always think about when I read a book, even if it isn't a huge part of the overall plot. I still love those scenes in a book.

So, yeah, I love this book. I'm guessing that was obvious from this review, but I still thought I should state it again. It's one of those books I wish I could erase from my memory and read again for the first time because it is really that good. And that's saying something because there aren't many books out there that I can say that about. But in this case, it is very true. And I also happen to have a couple on my favorite couples list because of this book.