TrishaBoyLove

Trisha Harrington's Blog

Something Like Summer

Something Like Summer - Jay Bell A lot of people loved this book, but I have seen people who agreed with me, so at least I'm not alone when it comes to this book. When it came to this book, I was so excited to read it. From the blurb, I thought this would become a fast favourite of mine. The blurb wasn't really the best thing to go by, and that was what I did go by. Not the reviews, (I didn't read any before I read this) but the blurb.

From the blurb, I got the impression that this would be about Ben and Tim. And that was true, to a certain extent. But in all honesty, I found it hard to like any of the three characters. I hate love triangles, and this was one of the biggest ones I have ever read. There are many reason I don't like them, and one of them is because of what happened in this book. Ultimately, one of the characters has to go away, and I didn't feel the way it happened in this book.

The book spans a decade and while that would normally be a great thing, I found it to be kind of hard here. The author is a great writer, I am not faulting him at all. But the story was not for me, at all! I think a lot of my GR friends know about my taste and this happened to have a couple of my pet peeves. But I have my taste and it's my own fault for not reading actual reviews before reading this book.

There were some things I liked... YA is a genre I love, so that boosted it. The beginning of the book wasn't bad at all. I didn't love it by any means, but at the same time, I didn't hate or dislike it. It was the best part of the book for me, which is different to other reviews. But I am a sucker for high school stories, and for a time, that is what this presented as. A high school story.

Not the most emotional book in my opinion, but for someone who really loved the characters, it would have been. I am giving it three stars because of the writing and the beginning of the book. I can't give it less in my opinion, but I will say, if your taste is similar than mine, I wouldn't recommend this book.