TrishaBoyLove

Trisha Harrington's Blog

SPOILER ALERT!

The Long Way Home

The Long Way Home - Z.A. Maxfield I cannot stand Connor! Really? Why would he not give poor Kevin the chance at someone who might truly love him?

I did not know how to rate this book, I honestly think I might have been a bit generous. The rating might change but my opinions are the same. I loved Kevin he was such a good character to read and I had a lot of sympathy for him throughout the book. His special gift was one of the main parts of the story and his relationship with Connor was secondary to me anyway.

“I don’t have animals. I’d like to get another dog someday. Look, Dad, this thing with Connor, he’s well, I’m sure he’s sincere but he’s new to all this. And I know he’s still in love with Andrew Schilling, he’s never gotten over that. It may be that we’re just for now, you know? I’m the first gay man he’s been close to since Andrew—I’m probably the first opportunity he’s had to explore that side of himself. I don’t want you to hold it against him if it doesn’t work out. I figure I’ll just go back to—”

Kevin saw his dad’s eyes widen and turned just in time to meet a fist squarely with his jaw. It dropped him like a rock onto his dad’s kitchen floor.

As much as I hate to admit it I hated Connor and as a couple I was not rooting for him and Kevin. He was so hung up on his dead first love that it sickened me. I know some people don't mind books like that, I on the other hand hate books like that.

When Connor was going on about how the first love was the love of his life. It was horrible and I wished he and Kevin had not ended up together to be honest. It was so hard to connect with a relationship when Connor was comparing Kevin to the dead guy the whole time. Kevin was right to be jealous to be honest not everybody has that shoved in their face when they love someone.

“ I thought that it would be better to wait and see if Andrew was still the love of your life. I mean…look Connor, it was pretty clear that I needed you a lot more than you needed me—”

“What?”

“Well…I mean…look at me. I was a wreck. I was fainting, sick, crying, falling overboard. I had not a shred of control over my emotions, not the faintest idea how to survive in a place with a lot of people around.”

“That doesn’t mean you need me, that means you need Robbie.” “Without you there would have been no Robbie. Without you there would have been no reconciliation with my pop, no Christmas dinner with family, no keys to mom’s car, no faith from anyone, no respect, no trust. Without you I’d still be crazy Kevin the fake, psychic clown, hiding in Wyoming, scared to stick my nose out the door, content to be with my dog.”

I could have cried when they got back together. Connor will never really be able to let his ex go, its sad that he could break Kevin's heart because of it. You may ask why I gave this book 2 stars. I liked Kevin. He was a good character for me. I just wanted to slap him in the end.

I know a lot of people love this book but I could not connect with it on a personal level. Maybe I am being harsh but my opinions of this book were as I stated above. I have decided 1.5 stars is for me. I re-read it and hated it. Sigh, it was just not the book for me. To be honest I like my MC's not to annoy me about an ex or a dead lover for the entire story. So that has finished me I am afraid.

“Me neither. I can’t help how I felt about Andrew, but he’s dead. I don’t know what would have happened. There’s no choice to be made here, I want only you.” He stroked the side of Kevin’s face gently. “I hope that’s enough for you, because I don’t have a clue what else I could say.”