Trisha Harrington's Blog

From the Ashes

From the Ashes - Daisy Harris This is one of those books that was really good, and I mean really, really good, but I just didn't love it. I am a huge fan of firemen and men in uniform, so when I saw this I raced to get it. And I am so glad I did because I really did enjoy the book. There were a couple of issues with the book, though, and I couldn't give it more than 3.5 stars, rounded up because I did enjoy it.

I loved the idea of the closeted fireman and the college kid. And it was well executed. Jesse and Tomas were nice together and as a couple I did generally love them. I liked seeing the two men grow and learn how to become a couple. Neither man was annoying or anything and I enjoyed the family aspect of their relationship too. Tomas' brother and Jesse's parents were a large part of some of their issues.

Saying that, once they started having sex... It got a bit old. I am a huge fan of books with sex, but when it goes from no anal sex to... You can almost guess, the sex was there a lot afterwards. And the once scene after the argument. It put me off slightly. There was just something in my head screaming at me. I won't say much about the scene, but it wasn't my favourite.

Things did end well and I loved the couple. Some of the secondary characters were not my favourite... Especially Michael and Diego, who in my opinion needed a good kick up the ass. Michael, I sort of had sympathy for him, but he annoyed me too. Whereas Diego was the biggest feckin eejit and I would have loved someone to really put him in his place.

I could easily recommend this story to fans of the author, maybe fans of firemen in their books. Besides, the cover is hot!