Trisha Harrington's Blog

Beyond Duty

Beyond Duty - SJD Peterson Yes! I have finally read this book. And let me tell you all, this book is amazing! I am not into BDSM. Normally it creeps me out to no end, especially when the characters are violent or unloving. It happens a lot. But this book has shown me how good BDSM can be and it was incredible. I read the LIAW story a few months ago and from that point I wanted more Gunny and Mac. Well we definitely got more, and I could not be happier.

Gunny and Mac are best friends, lovers and marines. As you can imagine that would be... problematic. But now DADT is being reversed it's time for them to come out, and after a misunderstanding and a couple of blips in the road, they can! Gunny, in the beginning, worried about Mac wanting someone younger. But they are so in love. It was so lovely and wonderful. They are best friends and have so much love for each other. It's incredible to read.

I loved how they went from engaged in the beginning, to starting to form a real relationship. It wasn't always a solid relationship. They started off as friends with benefits. But after a teeny white lie Mac told Gunny that he had slept with a guy who was threatening to out him. (It was a lie and he did it because Mac is a possessive freak!) they only slept with each other. And when they came close to retirement, they became an official, out, couple. I love Mac and Gunny as a couple. They are just so adorable.

I had a few favourite scenes in this book, and for most, this book will be a tearjerker. There were the scenes with Mac and Gunny's parents, the wedding, and my personal favourite, the ceremony where Mac and Gunny come out.

“Finally, to the one person who truly understands me the most. Who shares my burden and my heart and has made my sacrifice bearable.” Mac turned to Gunny and held his gaze, speaking directly to him. “To my best friend, my lover, and my future husband, who is the epitome of strength, honor, and courage. If anyone questions as to whether a gay man can serve and bring honor to the Corps, they only have to look to Gunther Duchene to erase any and all doubt.” Tears burned at the back of Mac’s eyes, and he blinked them away. Mac gently ran his fingers along Gunny’s cheek. “Thank you. I love you very much.” Ignoring the gasps, applause, and cheers, Mac leaned in and pressed a gentle kiss to Gunny’s warm lips and whispered, “Semper fi.”

The author has left it open, but it does not need a sequel. If you loved the short story this would be a must. I honestly do not know what I would have done had this not been released. It has just made me so, so happy. I really did fall in love with this couple, their story and just this! The book has left me with a smile on my face and I am so happy I got to read this.