Trisha Harrington's Blog

Special Nobody

Special Nobody - Brendan Spratt This book is a three point five star read for me. One of the things that attracted me to this book was the fact it's set in Ireland and is written by an Irish author. You really could tell that the author knew his stuff, the dialogue felt authentic. People might ask me why I din't rate this book 5. Well, I had a few reasons (small ones).

Drugs were mentioned a lot in this story. I had expected it, but it did get to me. Jason's use of drugs was something that did not appeal to me, but I was able to block that part out sometimes. His use of "mammy" was something I adored in this book. As an Irish girl I don't see this used a lot in books, especially considering I have read one or two books with Irish characters. I also loved the correct terminology secondary school, junior cert, leaving cert etc...

The time jumps are extensive. I didn't mind it as much as I thought I would. A lot of things would happen and then you would go back or forward to something related. Jason had his struggles and I think a lot of them happened while he was in school. His head was not in the right place and the paternity secret was good. I have always enjoyed when they are done a certain way.

If I'm honest and I try to be, Lizzy and Ryan were not my favourite secondary characters. It's unusual for me not to connect with either main secondary character, but that was the case for me. As a protagonist Jason was good, but his friends... Meh, could have liked them more. Especially with what Lizzy did at the end, that put me off her even more.

Saying all that I would recommend this book. It is a good solid story that will appeal to a lot of people.

This book was provided by the author for a fair and honest review.