Trisha Harrington's Blog

The Coincidence of Callie & Kayden

The Coincidence of Callie & Kayden - Jessica Sorensen The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden is the first m/f book I have read in the last two years. As a fan of m/m, I find it hard to read other genre's now. This was recommended to me by several people, so I took the chance and bought it.

I can see why people love the book, I did, too. I can also see why some people hated it. When I read the blurb I was drawn in. I expected to fall in love with Kayden and tolerate Callie. How wrong I was. Yeah, I fell in love with Kayden. In many ways I felt a lot of sympathy for him. The way his father treated him was not right. Nobody deserves the treatment he received. Nobody. Then you have to consider the rest of his family or should I say lack of family. He had one, he lost most of them. His mother was almost as bad as his father in my opinion. I do, however, have an issue with the way he dealt with things. But, with him, it was realistic. His actions were believable for him and because I could feel his pain, I was able to fall in love with him.

Then there was Callie. I fell in love with her because she was someone I could sort of relate to. Now, I was never in the situation she was. But I could relate to the bullying. And that's what happened. She was bullied. Her relationship with Seth - who I adored - was really sweet. They got each other and the fact she had one friend was nice. There was also her relationship with Kayden. She saw him not the scars. Of course she noticed him, but she wasn't trying to change him. Her emotions felt so very real to me. When she was scared, I believed it. I think she's probably the first female character I have ever really connected to. She was just what I wanted her to be, and more.

I had a couple of favourite scenes. The rain scene was probably the number one, and any scene with Seth. My favorite characters were Callie and Seth (I love that guy!). Seth was such a great secondary character, add the gay fact that he's gay and I was so happy. He's such a fun character and so easy to love. Other m/f books I read before had no gay characters, so it was a nice change to read. Anyway, I know Seth is getting his own book, so that makes things even better. I'm really looking forward to reading that. I hope Callie will be some part of that book because it would be nice to see their friendship last. I also liked Luke, his friendship with Kayden was good. I didn't love him like I loved Seth, but I think Luke was a great friend to Kayden and the two of them really worked as friends.

The ending was a pretty big cliffhanger. It was expected because I had read review, so I wasn't blindsided like others who read the book. I'm excited to see what will happen in the rest of the series, but I will be waiting. M/F is not my genre and I have no intention of reading a lot of m/f. But Jessica Sorensen has definitely got me wanting to find out more about these characters and her books.