TrishaBoyLove

Trisha Harrington's Blog

The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green Okay, so I have a confession to make: I did not think I would enjoy this book. Phew, now that I have that out of the way, I should be able to concentrate better on the review.

The Fault in Our Stars is one of the best books I have ever. I was expecting a depressing read, if I'm honest, but that's not what I got here. People will be afraid of this book because the protagonist has Cancer. And if that isn't bad enough, we know she's terminal. It was actually part of the reason I was afraid I wouldn't like this book. But this isn't a sad depressing book. Sure, the ending is sad (though I didn't find it as sad as most) but the rest of the book? It's funny and charming and something I would love to read again.

Hazel and Augustus were really lovable characters. Their love story was beautiful and it left me with this happy feeling that I couldn't get rid of, even when I read the ending. The Fault in Our Stars is one of the best YA books I have ever read and it's not simply because of the romance. There's a lot more to this story and I admire the author for writing these characters as people, not just kids with cancer. I've watched interviews where he said something about people being funny when they're alive, and that doesn't change just because they have cancer. That is very true, and John Green shows that here.

There are some amazing quotes in this book. Some of those quotes I totally 100% agreed with. Others just made me stop and think and then stayed with me after I finished this book. And this is five days after I finished. I just found myself lapping up some of the quotes in this book and the way Hazel describes falling in love with Gus is just so beautiful.

I thought Augustus and Hazel were perfect for each other. The way they communicated and understood each other was so sweet, it felt like they had known each other their whole lives. It was also a bit heartbreaking in certain scenes. But I stopped to think about it a few times, even when I got to that part of the book, and I couldn't... I just didn't seem to finish the book in tears, not that I expected to, but I wasn't exactly overwhelmed with grief or sadness either. It was just... I don't know how to describe it. Maybe I'm just numb to books like this. But I think criers will definitely cry when they finish this book. And I know people will appreciate the word okay

Summing up, I'm pretty sure this review won't make a whole lot of sense, but I hope I made it obvious to anyone who reads it that I enjoyed this book. Enjoyed is the biggest understatement, but I don't want to make this much longer than it already is. Would I recommend this? Yes, but I also want people to be aware that it isn't the type of book everyone can or will love. Also, I think the title is absolutely perfect and so fitting for the book. Oh, and the ending? Again, I thought it worked so well for the book.