Trisha Harrington's Blog

Natural Instincts

Natural Instincts - S.J. Frost This was an amazing start to the series! I fell in love with Andreas and Titus, and yes, even Daniel. Natural Instincts wasn't what I had been expecting. In fact, I would say it was even better than I had been expecting. This is definitely one of those books fans of vampires who don't mind sweet and sappy reads would enjoy. If you can get past the fact that this isn't a dark romance, you should really give this a shot.

Andreas had kind of a sad reason for becoming a vampire in the beginning. And, even though I guessed how it would end, I was glad the author took her time, dragging it out and crafting a beautiful story for the reader. Titus was an ancient vampire. Basically, he is royalty in the vampire community because he has lived for over a thousand years. Unlike most of the vampire books I have read, this world didn't classify vampires as being dead. I've seen it a couple of times, and I will admit to liking the unique(ish) twist.

The sex scenes... what can I say, some of them were hot, others were emotional, and I enjoyed each and every one of them. Titus worried me for a while even though he was kind of obvious during those scenes, I couldn't stop myself from worrying about him sleeping around. Thankfully, though, he didn't and I was able to really get into those sex scenes.

There was a secondary character, Daniel, who you will either love or hate. In the end? I loved him. Yeah. Shocking, I know, but he grew on me and I could tell he was mostly genuine when it came to his feelings. For a while, I thought he would end up becoming the bad guy. When he didn't I was more than a little relieved. His love for Titus was real, and even though it wasn't reciprocated, he still was likable afterwards.

I'd highly recommend this book to fans of the author or of vampire stories. This is definitely a new favourite of mine.