TrishaBoyLove

Trisha Harrington's Blog

Illumination

Illumination - Rowan Speedwell This book was painful, brilliantly so. I'm a fan of angst when it's the right kind. But sometimes a book can grab someone emotionally and take you on a journey you're not expecting. This was one of those times for me. I don't know what I was expecting from the book, but whatever it was, this wasn't it. Even with that, though, I am thrilled I read something like this. The author did an amazing job and I have loved the others I've read by her, this was no different.

Miles and Adam were perfect for each other, at the same time, however, they had their issues. Issues that needed to be overcome in order for their relationship to work. I think they started off well and I was glad things were rough. And boy were they rough! It wouldn't have seemed read had they fallen in love and not tried to help themselves. It would have felt like a relationship doomed to end badly.

I found myself enthralled by Miles. His character was really fucked up with a lot of issues and not many people around him. His friends, who I didn't really love, kinda annoyed me during this. I got why it was done... I guess but it just didn't seem realistic to me. It was weird for me anyway. Miles' relationship with Bobby and Doug was... read the book. I can't tell others how to feel about it. But I wasn't really feeling them very much. Even Adam and Evie's relationship was nicer for me than the relationship between Miles and his friends.

Something I really loved about the book was how the characters played their roles in the story. Even if I didn't love everyone, I still saw their purpose in the lives of these characters. In some ways, I was delighted they were all there. They - the secondary characters - had their roles in helping both MC's face their demons and heal them. It was nice, refreshing, to see Miles' problems not magically fixed. It was also great to see Adam go back to something he really loved, taking him away from the drugs.

The only reason I am giving this 4 stars is because of how drained I was reading this book. It's not an easy read. I wasn't looking for one either. But I would have liked things to be a tiny bit easier. I love angst, and I don't shy away from it, but it can get exhausting after a while. This book is totally worth it, though, and I am so glad I read it.