Trisha Harrington's Blog

Old Loyalty, New Love

Old Loyalty, New Love - Mary Calmes I love Mary Calmes' books and this one is no exception. I've held off on reading this one for quiet some time and I'm sorry now I did. This was a really great story and I enjoyed it so much, I couldn't put it down and devoured it very quickly. It was just what I needed.

Quade and Roman were just so good together. I liked the age difference and it felt natural, even if the gap was quite large. I also liked the fact Roman had been in an accident and his face had been left disfigured. It was nice to see that it wasn't always fully ignored like it could have been, but that Quade didn't care one bit about it. He loved Roman and he was still attracted to him. When Quade's ex made the comment about Roman, I was glad Quade didn't sit back and take it like what happens so many times in other books. That was probably what sealed the deal for me here.

The fact it didn't focus solely on the romance and it also had some shifter/pack elements added to my enjoyment of the story. I love romance and usually I prefer that to be the main part of the story, but this found the perfect balance in my eyes and I was able to enjoy it more because we got to see Quade go back to try and help his old pack through some issues. This book also set up the potential for a sequel or two, so there is a chance that this could be a series. I would really like that to happen because I think it would be great to see what happens with some of the other characters and to catch up with these guys too.

Overall, I thought this was a great, memorable story. It's pretty much the typical Mary Calmes with a couple of little things that made it slightly different. But for those who are unsure whether they should read it, I would go by how much you enjoy reading books by this author. I'm a huge fan of hers and I also like shifter stories, so that added to my enjoyment as well as the really good story. Also, I will be keeping my eye out for that potential sequel.