Trisha Harrington's Blog

The Shearing Gun

The Shearing Gun - Renae Kaye I'm blown away by how much I loved this book. It was everything I wanted it to be and more.

The characters were so amazing and I fell in love with them instantly. They had great chemistry and I liked the fact they became friends first and from there it grew. Hank and Quackle (lol you'll have to read the book to find out about that) were so sweet and cute together. I did worry about liking them together for the first couple of chapters, but once they started spending time together and they got to know each other better, I knew I would love them.

I knew why Elliot (Quackle) got annoyed when Hank didn't tell him he was gay. I actually was a tiny bit annoyed, too. It just didn't seem like a huge thing. Especially when Elliot already told him about himself. I thought he could have said something and not made a big deal out of it. And the way it came out? Great scene, but I totally understood Elliot being annoyed. Though it did seem to bring the guys together more, in my opinion it did anyway.

The secondary characters. Well, for the most part I loved them all. I would have liked a bit more of Hank's dad and brother. I loved his gay uncles. Especially Jimmie. And I liked Hank's friends and the way most of them accepted it without issue. It was funny to read some of the reactions when everything came out.

“I mean, why the hell didn’t you say something? It’s like… like… I dunno… hiding who you are. It’s like lying to your friends, Hank. It’s like saying you go for the Eagles but you’re really an Essendon fan and you never told anyone. It’s like saying you were born in Australia but you’re really from New Zealand. Shit! You’re not a Kiwi as well are you?”

I'm so glad I finally buckled down and read this. It was funny and put me in a really happy mood. I seriously need to read more of this authors books because I have a feeling I will find more of them to love if I do. This is going straight to my favorites and these guys might just become one of my favorite couples... Highly recommended!