Trisha Harrington's Blog

A Hundred Thousand Words

A Hundred Thousand Words - Nyrae Dawn This was a really nice read!

I've been wanting to read something from this author for a while now. This one has been on my tbr for a while and I wasn't sure what I was in the mood for, so I picked this one up.

The writing was so good. The characters were solid. I loved Toby and Levi. I also loved Chris ( Levi's brother and Toby's best friend, who I wanted more of) and Elaine (Levi and Chris' mom). She was awesome. I wanted to shake both dads on a couple of occasions in this.

Toby's issues felt very real to me. He not only had to deal with his mom walking out, but his dads emotional distance after her leaving. The lack of communication between the two made it all worse. Toby wants his dad to show more of an interest, but his dad is depressed and closes himself off.

Levi was amazing, too. I understood his struggle a lot. It was easy to see he was struggling a lot, even though we didn't get his POV. It was easy to see, at least for me, why he worried so much about telling his parents, mainly his dad, the truth about his uncertainty.

I didn't really love the big reveal and how all that went down. I didn't hate it exactly, but I wasn't totally happy with it either. The ending itself was nice and had a solidly happy, so I was happy overall with how things worked out. I'm especially glad that Toby and his dad are working through things.

I'll definitely be reading more from this author in the future!